Sunday, June 20, 2010

So much for Sunday as a day of rest!

We're on the boat so little that they have class everyday, including weekends...

But my classes are over for the day, and it's beautiful outside!!  Last night was the only night, so far, that we haven't had set our clocks ahead an hour, so we actually experienced a 24-hour-long day!  Yay for a marginally better nights sleep!  (we still stayed up until 2 anyway..)  We watched the Hangover last night - i had forgotten how incredibly hilarious that movie is!  Classes are going well - i think the last time I updated this was after the first day.

My religion class is turning out to be a TON of work.  We read so much!! and she has us complete these workbook pages to go along with the readings - we all feel like a 2nd graders.  so far we've read Genesis, Exodus, about half of one book, and we're expected to have completed a whole other different book by tuesday.  Reading is not my strong suit.  But right now, we're on the Judaism unit of the class, and it's admittedly really interesting.  

Spanish is really good too!  The professor speaks ONLY in spanish, which is pretty hard to follow some of the time.  He insists that we speak only spanish too, but if we don't know how to say a certain word, he's really helpful: tells us the word, and lets us go back and put that word into what we were saying.  The only really difficult part is that I'm pretty rusty on all the vocab - i haven't taken spanish in about 4 and a half years...  And this class is a "grammar based course," so he expects us to know all the vocab already, and I just don't.  I need to work on it.  Mom - good call on the spanish/english dictionary.   It's a lifesaver.

Tonight we have a map quiz of the mediterranean.  It has a lot of obscure cities that we're not visiting, so they are hard to remember, but it's multiple choice so I think we'll be fine.  And i'm also trying to remind myself that Stanford is only going to accept the Spanish credit, so I don't need to bust my butt stressing about the work for Religion and Global Studies.  If anything, they'll take the credit as pass/fail, and I dont think theres physically a way to fail a semester at sea course.

Hm.... what else?

Ah! we had mac and cheese (shell-shaped, everything in my life these days is nautically themed) for lunch today.   Oh yeah! and we saw a pod of dolphins yesterday.  And an island far in the distance today at lunchtime.  I'm not sure what island it was, though.  I purchased some mandatory SAS clothing items yesterday.  Pretty much everything was crazyyyyy overpriced, but there was this one pack of 3 tshirts that, total, cost something around 35 dollars, which was way cheaper than buying them individually.  And signups for the field trips in greece, turkey, egypt and morocco happened yesterday.  Hopefully I get into some good ones!  There were some that I wanted to sign up for that were faculty-led, but I'm not in their classes so I couldn't sign up for them.  There's apparently a waitlist period tomorrow morning that I'm hoping to get to and sign up.

So i'm going to go sit on the deck in the shade and study for the map quiz


PS - HAPPY FATHER'S DAY DADDY!!!  I LOVE YOU!

1 comment:

  1. As for failing, be careful, that's what a certain friend of Natalie's thought too. And we are talking global studies here.

    Hope you get good feild trips! Have fun - we miss you!

    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete